This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Medical Certificates & Letters

Sickness Certificates:

Sickness CertificatesYou do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

If your employer insists on a doctor’s certificate for less than seven days absence then you will be charged a fee for a private certificate.  Current charges are displayed in reception.  If you are, or are likely to be, unfit for work for more than seven days and, need a certificate, please book a doctor appointment. Hospitals will provide certificates to cover any time off work related to admission/convalescing periods.

Repeat Sickness Certificates

We encourage patients to get back to work where possible. However, if you are off sick long-term, please do not let your certificate run out. Make a note of when the next certificate is due and make an appointment in advance.

Please do not request an emergency appointment to address this requirement.

Certificates/Letters for other purposes:

This practice receives an enormous amount of requests for doctor’s letters. Many requests are not considered to be part of NHS services and may be provided at the GP’s discretion, for which a charge will be made.

Solicitor’s Letters:

If you require a letter from the GP about your medical conditions or problems for a solicitor, please ask them to write to the practice specifying the exact information they require, together with your written consent. A charge will be made for this service.

Housing Letters – Please do not ask the GP:

If you consider you need re-housing for medical reasons please contact the Housing Department at the local Council Offices and complete their relevant application form.  If medical information is required, they will forward to the practice a specific form for completion.


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website